Search This Blog

Tuesday, 14 April 2015

Cavendish, St Mary The Virgin, Suffolk

Cavendish Church
Cavendish Church
This fine church is right next to the extensive village green in the village of Cavendish. There has been a church in Cavendish since the Domesday Book.

Brass Lectern
The tower, porch and lower parts of the aisle walls date from 1300, with alterations continuing until 1485.  There was a lot of restoration in the mid-1800s.
Door of south porch

The main door on the south side porch dates from dates from the 1200s and the door has a sanctuary ring. There is a sundial just above the porch entrance on the right.

The brass lectern dates from the late 1400s.  Off the north aisle are fragments of medieval glass in some of the windows.

Reredos
A Reredos on the north wall show a 1500s Flemish version of the Crucifixion.

The font dates from the 1300s. The images of the four evangelists were badly defaced in the days of Cromwell.

There is a fine east window. You step down to the chancel, which is unusual.

There is a squint window in the chancel so the priest could see the altar from the chapel. The chancel ceiling was boarded in 1811 and part of this was painted in 1890.

In the tower is a room with a fireplace. This was used by the priest.

The pulpit dates from the 1800s. Nearby is an hour glass so the priest could time his sermon!

The tower houses 6 bells and the clock added in 1871.










Five Bells Pub - overlooking green
We ate lunch at the Five Bells pub which is just across the road, overlooking the village green. Prices were reasonable, helpings enormous and parking right outside. As it was a warm, sunny day many were eating outside.






Enormous helpings!

No comments:

Post a Comment